Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Food!! Yum!


This past weekend I found my inner June Cleaver and stayed in the kitchen. I don't know what happened to me but I think I entered the Twilight Zone because I am not known to love the kitchen when I could be, well, anywhere else. I decided to make a recipe I saw at Jo's blog, who posts a recipe everyday after she talks about whatever interests her. She is a lovely lady who writes about her love for bowling, the Mandarin and her take on global events...and lest we not forget her love for asparagus (Yuck):) I decided to try the coconut shrimp curry recipe which takes many spices so off to the bulk barn I went. The recipe is pretty easy to follow but it took me much longer than the 25 minutes given. In the end, it was delicious! I love the taste of curry and turmeric along with coconut milk and could easily add scallops and other shellfish to this dish. Now, you might love the picture above or...you might not, but this dish was delish!


My brother's birthday was on Sunday and we invited him over for a BBQ and a mini celebration. I decided to make a cake for him that he has not had since my mom got dementia. It is not so much the cake but the icing which is a lemon flavour. I took lemon pie filling and added a 1/4 cup cold water and 1 3/4 hot water to the lemon filling-omit eggs and milk but follow the rest of the directions which is basically keep stirring the stuff in the pot on the stove until it thickens and starts to boil. Take it off the hot plate and let it cool but stir it so no skin forms. When it cools down, cover it with Saran Wrap and place it in the fridge. Take a whole Pint of whipping cream, add a 1/4 cup icing sugar and whip it until stiff peaks form. Take out the lemon filling and slowly add it to the whipped cream and whip it good. This is the icing and it is gooooooddd! I cut the cake twice so you have 2 layers. The first layer will hold some of this icing, place the middle part of the cake on and take raspberry jam and place it on the second layer. Place the top layer down and decorate it with the remaining icing. My brother loved the cake.

Now while making this cake I went insane and started taking everything out of one cupboard which holds all the spices and baking supplies. I had some spices that my mom had ....when I was 10! I don't think marjoram will last 43 years so a lot went out and now the cupboard is much, much better and when I open the door, nothing falls out since it was jammed full of old crap.

Oh, I place some whipping cream aside and folded in some raspberry jam because I had the bright idea to write Happy Birthday with the pink icing. I did not count on those nasty, nasty little F'en seeds to get stuck in the pint sized nozzle. After trying to dislodge the seeds with a toothpick, using curse words that a lumberjack would blush at, and having blobs of pink icing everywhere, i gave up and just placed the icing in the middle.


32 comments:

  1. I love lemon-flavored cakes, cookies, whatever. Your shrimp dish looks great.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo will be happy to know you tried her recipe. I agree on your assessment of asparagus though. The cake turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so and I'm glad you agree with me on the asparagus.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, after 43 years it needs to go haha cake sure turned out fun indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is too long to keep spices. The Cake was a hit

      Delete
  4. That cake does look pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that first photo. If you have any leftovers, can you mail them to me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly, you went wild in the kitchen. I love just about anything with curry and that frosting sounds heavenly. All a bit complicated for me right now (I'm doing weight watchers), but I'll take your word for it....Delish and so Goooddd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go wild and the cake would not be good if you're doing weight watchers:)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the laugh with the icing. I would bake everyday but then I would eat all the stuff and be as big as godzilla. I have some pretty old stuff around here. Most of it is alcohol that was bought for various cooking projects. Alcohol never went bad in the lab at work, so I figure it is still good for cooking. Or not, lol. I must make that curry recipe. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Through out wine vinegar that Sid it had to be refrigerated after it was opened. Since it was bought in 2010, I knew that was past it's prime.

      Delete
  8. You've got me wanting to lick my computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pair of traitors, not liking asparagus, you and Alex. I am impressed with your shrimp curry Birgit and the icing sounds absolutely delicious. You did send me a slice I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex and I plead the 5th.....hahahaaai enjoyed the curry recipe and the cake was great

      Delete
  10. Remind me next time to swallow my wine before I read your blog. I nearly spit it out with laughing so hard about the spices :) Yep, a "spring cleaning" was definitely needed for them. The shrimp recipe looks delicious as does the cake!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oopsy:) yes, when spices are older than your niece who lives in Toronto, you know it's too old.

      Delete
  11. Isn't that always the way? Start with one thing... That reminds me of cleaning out cupboards and finding stuff that's been way outdated. Makes you wonder why you don't clean more frequently, eh? (At least it does me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I should clean it out at least once a year but there are so many better things to do....

      Delete
  12. Hi Birgit - the curry looks amazing, love asparagus - sorry! ... then the dessert - bet your brother was happy ... fun - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The curry meal was really good no so was the torte. Bleach to asparagus

      Delete
  13. What's with all the recipes people are posting today? You're making me feel really lousy about my own meals...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa....I only know of Jo posting recipes so you must have a few who love cooking

      Delete
  14. The cake looks luscious. Toddling over to Jo's now.
    Hope the rest of your week is pleasant and productive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to try making your curry coconut dish, Birgit, next time I buy shrimp or scallops and coconut milk. Yummmm. Your cake with the lemon icing sounds like my favorite cake when I was a kid. Yummmmo. Glad to hear that someone else's mother kept spices for decades. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is ctually Jo's recipe not mine but the icing is my mom's and it is great

      Delete
  16. You have been a Domestic Goddess, truly! I make a good veggie version of coconut curry which we both love. I laughed at your spice cupboard which has some similarities to mine, though I don't think anything goes back 43 years. I'm sure there's stuff which has come through two house moves though. You just never know when it might be needed.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right that spices are always needed but when one is that old, they need to go.

      Delete