Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Oscars



First, I wish to thank everyone who tried to help me regarding my IPad. It is still a work in progress with my new IPad so I am using the good ole Lap Top for now:) I really mean Thank you too!

So, of course, the Oscars were on Sunday night and I watched every bit of it because nothing says film awards better than saying thank you for receiving a golden statue. Thankfully, I only heard one nut say Thank you to God for the Golden Award so that was a relief.

Chris Rock nailed it! He was perfect (except for the blechhh Girl Guide Cookie thing half way through- that was totally stupid). I also loved how there was a nice tribute, to whom you thought would be Will Smith but it turned out to be Jack Black. I loved that considering how stupid Will Smith's wifee was with the Oscars so white crap. It has been so white for 88 years!

I will not discuss who won and all that jazz but I made my own list regarding the awards so here we go....

1. BEST DRESSED






Yeah I am going to fashion because I am a girl and I love this crap even though there are starving babies and all that other blah blah going on, I still love this. They are both classic in look, both wearing colours I love and both have necklaces on! I wish more would wear a necklace especially when everything is so dull. It is glittery too. Now for the men....




Michael Fassbender looks great-classic. I have to admit, I love Bryan Cranston's tux, as well, even though it was quite shiny.  Both are pretty spiffy to me.

2.WORST DRESSED



This has bad bridesmaid dress written all over it. I just don't have the words. Oh wait, Yes I do-Horrible!


I like Rooney Mara but, but,...No! She looks like she may have some whips and chains in a hidden room or she may be perfect as one of the bridal ghouls in a novel, but that would mean one would have to write about this bad dress and I know that can't happen. Even Mrs. Havisham wouldn't wear this for 40 years.


Some love this look but, frankly I am sick and tired of these huge gaps between their ta-ta's. This looks like Capt. Kirk may ask her out after he beamed down to get some dilithium crystals.  I won't even comment on Jenny Beavan, the winner for best Costume Designer. She was wearing back black pants and top with a scarf and a pleather jacket with crystals on the back. I thought it was hilarious.



I forget who he is and, why bother. I like shiny and all that but this sucks.

Now...2 looks that one may either love or hate. Which one do you fall on or better yet, would you wear this? I have one for the women and one for the men.



I like it  but I wouldn't wear it..not my style nor do I have that body. Would you wear this ladies? Hello Men, If your better half(:)) wore this would you go stand beside some other woman you don't know?....I know you would stand beside your love no matter what but just saying....


OK Men, would you wear this? If your man wore this, ladies, would you walk beside him or duck under the bleachers?

3. BEST SPEECH

I loved what the presenter, Louis C.K.  said when he was given the task of presenting the Best Documentary Short. It was priceless and so true. I bet most of the nominees do drive a Honda Civic. Leo Di Caprio also gets cudos for his speech as well.

4. WORST SPEECH

The presenter, Patricia Arquette, was as dull as dirt. It reminds me of her dull performance in Boyhood (bleccchhhhh). She needs some shot of, I don't know, actually being alive. I was not too enamoured with Jenny Beavan's speech for best costume. It was right up there with her dress style.

5. THE WORST NOMINATION

I have 2...Best Costume Design for The Revenant. OK, he wore a bear rug on him but, really? Most of those clothes of the rugged fur trappers I saw growing up on the sawmill. The other is Jennifer Lawrence for Joy. Really? I know she made a movie but we don't have to nominate her every year especially for Joyless. Oh, It's about a woman who invented a better mop-wow, earth shattering isn't it?

6. DUMMEST

There are 2 again...that chick who came out after being introduced by Chris Rock..WTF??? and the Girl Scout Cookies...WTF??

7. WHAT DRUG ARE THEY ON?

I have to give it to John Legend. He was all smiley and looked like he was ready to catch butterflies.

8. WHO LOOKS LIKE THEY CAME FROM ANOTHER PLANET

To me that's simple......Rooney Mara, poor thing but why can't she bloody smile? She is looking a bit like those freaky twins from Full House.

9. WHO DO I WANT TO PUNCH IN THE FACE

I have no idea why but every time I see Eddie Redmayne I have that strong desire to smack him. Under that English "I'm so humble" attitude, I see smarm.

10. WHO DO I LOVE

Andy Serkis! I was so happy to see him present at the movies and they showed a nice montage of some of his work. The guy is amazing in my book and deserves that recognition.

Now for those of you who were perturbed that Downton Abbey was postponed for a week, our show will air this Sunday. I was one who was glad they postponed it but I think I was one of the few. For those who watched, have anything to add?

45 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Birgit!

    I agree with you about Patricia Arquette. Mrs. Shady swears by her, but I swear AT her for always being so wooden, dull and lifeless. On the other hand I very much dig Louis C.K. He tells it like it is.

    Happy Tuesday, dear friend BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does tell it and I loved it! I wonder how many people actually see those Doc short and Animation short. I want to but I am one of the few

      Delete
  2. I didn't watch the Oscars, but I liked your recap of them. When we lived in Southern California, all the local news stations would send representatives there to cover the Oscars. I always enjoyed their recapping, but I liked yours better than theirs!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find many recap the exact same thing. One thing I forgot to mention...why wasn't all 5 songs sung? They should have been

      Delete
  3. I didn't watch the Oscars. (shocking!) I do like Patricia Arquette (I loved her show Medium and now CSI: Cyber), but not everyone does well in this venue. Maybe she should just stop.

    As for the dress and suit with questions. I like the blue dress, but there's no way I could pull it off. So, I wouldn't wear it. And I definitely didn't like the red piping on the man's suit. Screamed mariachi band to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom liked Medium but I never watched it and not because of her, I just didn't for some reason. I have to see how she is on CSI. You are funny. It does scream that and the flower-Lol

      Delete
  4. I think I like your recap better than I would have liked the actual broadcast (don't watch, don't care to).

    The poorly dressed guy you can't identify is Orlando Jones. He used to be on Mad TV in the 90s, and... not much else. Maybe he just dressed that way so people will actually talk about him again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a quick recap is much better and I would just find the video where the comics were placed into the Best Picture-way too funny. I have no clue who Orlando Jones is..so that about says it.

      Delete
  5. Louis was hysterical! Funniest thing all night. It was nice to see Serkis but he really needs to win an acting award one of these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louis was great and I so agree with you about Serkis. Just watching the montage of him acting like the ape etc... is enough to show how great he is

      Delete
  6. I would wear my dress in question. And I would stand by my man whatever he wears, (Actually his taste is good.)

    Would I go with a gap between the ta-tas? Maybe as a wedding night gown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wedding night gown is about it. I think only a tall very slender gal like Cate could pull that dress off

      Delete
  7. I definitely agree about those worst nominations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol they all sure deserve worst dressed indeed. Only thing Orlando Jones was in I liked was Evolution, the shiny guy. Way better recap here than having to watch it, for me, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, then you know all the stuff and if you wish to google one thing, you can

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this post! Thanks for sharing about the Oscars and your views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading this and glad you enjoyed is

      Delete
  10. This all happened while I was asleep but the bad dresses were all over the place the next day - except Rooney Mara, I hadn't seen that. Truly scary.
    The Glasgow Gallivanter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thought her dress was nice! I just don't get it at all.

      Delete
  11. When Hugh Glass dove off a cliff and I heard his poor horse plunging to its death screaming - I felt truly heartbroken watching that poor creature. I wasn't too worried about Di Caprio, LOL. In reality the Oscars do put on a good show which must go on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby almost walked out of the theatre but I told him this is not real and no animals were harmed. I didn't like the horse to die in the movie either.

      Delete
  12. I think both of the love or hate outfits belong in the hate category. Your worst dressed women seem well-chosen. but your best dressed women are a bit boring.

    I can't help with the iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I guess they are boring but they still look really good to me. Many loved Charlize Theron but I didn't care for it nor Vikander's yellow dress. I have to say I did like Brie Larson's dress...a nice blue and I loved the belt.

      Delete
  13. I liked the first two dresses. You can keep the rest. Traditional tux is best in my opinion. Didn't watch the Oscars this year. These days I find them boring, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the first 2 dresses. They can be boring and i do wish for Bob Hope, Johnny Carson and Cher to be back

      Delete
  14. They can be boring and I do miss Bob Hope and Johnny Carson as well as Cher. I liked Chris Rock though

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did enjoy Chris Rock and think he did a good job, but his comment about not caring about the Oscars back when grandma was swinging from a tree was an unfortunate moment for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh..yes, forgot about that one but he can say that and get away with it since he is making a statement that many white people have said but not being funny

      Delete
  16. #1 & #2--I think I need to turn in my girl card. I don't care too much about what anyone was wearing.

    #6--As a former Girl Scout, I'm happy to see the major fundraiser getting a shout out. I put that up there with Ellen getting pizza for everyone that one year.

    And the Stacey Dash thing. I didn't get it either. Apparently, it's some black Twitter thing according to the article I read. A very inside joke. Just Google "Stacey Dash Oscars" and you'll get a bunch of links that may explain.

    I'll enjoy Entertainment Weekly's round up of the Oscars, which should come out this Friday. I don't have much to say about the show beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy the magazines also and I have heard about the Stacey Dash but I still don't get it:)

      Delete
  17. I love your summary and take on the Oscars, Birgit. I only saw bits of it whenever there was a commercial on whatever it was we were watching. I'm with you regarding the top dresses. I don't get the drooling over Cate Blanchett's dress. Maybe without the flowers that looks like they were made out of tissues. I must find a youtube on the Jack Black bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can wear that dress but a friend of mine commented how it reminded her of the old bathing caps

      Delete
  18. As you know, I did not watch, but 'no' I would not wear that blue dress past the age of 10. Maybe 8. As for that tux, my first thought was 'vampire', like blood dripping down. I love your comments even if I have no idea what many of them refer to. And hey, If Meryl had been in the movie instead of Jennifer, she would have won the Oscar. (I'd never even heard of the mop when the movie came out and had to Google it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vampire is a good way to explain that tux. I just don't get the whole excitement about a mop movie

      Delete
  19. I agree totally on the dresses - Tina Fey looked gorgeous.

    Jared Leto always has to find an edgy look, I suppose, but that red flowery thing looked a bit silly. Thumbs up on the shoes.

    Favorite moment: Tracy "I'm a Danish girl!" Morgan. Lordy, I laughed at that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That flower is silly. I think that part with Tracy Morgan was the funniest part.

      Delete
  20. I don't really get movies where I am so at every Oscars for years now I don't know who three quarters of the people are. The Mara girl was so anorexic, she was painful to look at. I think the "white" Oscars thing is silly. Yes, it IS a biased vote. It isn't impartial because as opposed to the Olympics (or whatever) you can't judge art without emotion and personal likes and dislikes. Yes, people who don't win for years, may win for something stupid b/c the voters/committee decides it's time they won. And now people want race quotas in there? It's a freaking popularity contest like in high school - just with better costumes & pretty gold statues. Get over it Will & Jada and all the other whiners. And as for diversity or giving women equal pay - the pay is dictated by what the movies earn. Period. Most men are the leads in the big box office smashes. The public decides what they spend their money on, not the production companies. Anyhow, thanks for all the great pics and the recap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You make some great points and it's so boring about the so white thing. In the end, these people get paid huge bucks for working only a few months of the year plus plugging the film etc... They can complain all they want but they can wear great clothes, travel the world, get free gifts and have huge homes or even castles. It really is silly

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used to watch the Oscars faithfully. Missed it :(
    Love the purple dress, the obvious winner. The worst dressed. Boy, are they ever ugly! You have wonder what they were thinking. Did someone pay them to model?

    ReplyDelete
  23. This could be your best post yet! So funny.

    Cate's dress is lovely until you get to the shoulders. Then it slides gracefully into bad prom queen territory.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Best dressed: Those two blue dresses are stunning.
    Some of the others......maybe not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is fascinating to see the different designs that people wear to awards shows. I imagine they feel a ton of pressure! The suit you showed would look like a costume on my fiance, as it is not his style at all.

    I did like Louis C. K.'s speech about the short documentary. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank YOU, Birgit. You made me smile, giggle, chuckle ... I was needing a little cheering up. Great post, my friend.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved this post...'this dress has bad-bridesmaid written all over it'. Stop please I have tears running down my face. I too watch for the fashion (partially) and they never fair to disappoint. It definitely goes from the Divine to the Hilarious. What are some of those women thinking. Oh well, I guess it goes along with 'no such thing as bad publicity'. Getting noticed, is getting noticed.

    I'm with ya on the Girl Scout Cookies - what was that all about anyway.

    Came by to tell you I left an award for me over at my blog. I really appreciate your continued support at my BOTB. I read the 'Weather Movies Post and enjoyed it too, but when I saw the teaser for this one, I just had to read and couldn't help commenting.

    ReplyDelete